the mayor and the governor, as well as various local politicians,
"May I not ask for one line?" he continued, still holding her hand.
"Certainly: so kind a friend as you shall hear all I can tell; that is, all I am at liberty to tell."
"A friend! Yes, I am a friend; and I will not urge any other claim just now. Perhaps--"
Ellinor could not affect to misunderstand him. His manner implied even more than his words.
"No!" she said, eagerly. "We are friends. That is it. I think we shall always be friends, though I will tell you now--something--this much--it is a sad secret. God help me! I am as guilty as poor Dixon, if, indeed, he is guilty--but he is innocent--indeed he is!"
"If he is no more guilty than you, I am sure he is! Let me be more than your friend, Ellinor--let me know all, and help you all that I can, with the right of an affianced husband."
"No, no!" said she, frightened both at what she had revealed, and his eager, warm, imploring manner. "That can never be. You do not know the disgrace that may be hanging over me."
"If that is all," said he, "I take my risk--if that is all--if you only fear that I may shrink from sharing any peril you may be exposed to."
This article only represents the author's viewpoint and does not represent the position of our website< Br> This article is authorized for publication by the author and cannot be reproduced without permission.
- 1all the inhabitants came down to the beach to see us pitch
- 2therefore, in return, destroy them without delay; there
- 3patriotism and love, which trembled in the savage breast.
- 4nearest, and then throw themselves on the unprotected frontier.
- 5up the steps, depositing her there with her back to the
- 6guiltless as yet of open violence, the act might be interpreted
- 7ground. Neither will they let us have them on credit, as
- 8as Parkman says, the commandant feared lest should he
- 9or that other infinitely more beautiful flower who wandered
- 10throat in colored blankets, their faces smeared with paint,
Random graphics and text
- solid wall opened before her; it was another masked door.
- Indian, as a present to Pontiac. The other chiefs urged
- young officer. On the afternoon of May 6, Catharine—for
- he said, and unless the Indians obeyed the Great Spirit,
- gate, but the apparatus was out of his reach, and he had
- below par. Repudiation was unknown under savage rule in
- the King of France, are not like the English. Never forget
- signifies the Great Turtle, was first, from a fancied resemblance,
- our tents. They were very civil, and offered us a house;
- and, to prove our love, we have come this day to smoke