Ina stared at him, but said nothing.
"Oh," continued Ashmead, "I shall be busy till evening; but I will ask him and you to dine with me at the Kursaal, and then adjourn to the Royal Box. You are a queen of song, and that is where you and he shall sit, and nowhere else."
Ina Klosking was changing color all this time, and cast a grateful but troubled look on him. "My kind, old faithful friend!" said she, then shook her head. "No, we are not to dine with you; nor sit together at the opera, in Homburg."
Ashmead looked a little chagrined. "So be it," he said dryly. "But at least introduce me to him. I'll try and overcome his prejudices."
"It is not even in my power to do that."
"Oh, I see. I'm not good enough for him," said Ashmead, bitterly.
"You do yourself injustice, and him too," said Ina, courteously.
"My friend," said she, deprecatingly, "he is not here."
This article only represents the author's viewpoint and does not represent the position of our website< Br> This article is authorized for publication by the author and cannot be reproduced without permission.
- 1either a watch or a clock; and an old man who was supposed
- 2the gates were all blocked up with the sloping drifts,
- 3of the Eton Grammar. This luminous idea was a great addition
- 4for though by hard labor he could get particular declensions
- 5freedom from doubt and questioning. Baynes had urged her
- 6“But that’s what you just couldn’t, Miss Wisdom,”
- 7wish you’d ask Mr. Stelling not to let me do Euclid;
- 8such high spirits at this announcement that he quite enjoyed
- 9was scarcely superior to an English cottager. At night
- 10for preferring this elderberry bush than that it stirs
Random graphics and text
- a quiet old man, who, in his appearance and manner of life,
- Tom had gained any acquaintance with the Romans at Mr.
- Mrs. Stelling, she felt, looked at her as if she thought
- you had had the advantage of being “the freshest modern”
- They were approaching the river, and there was a fog to-night!
- her dinner-parties and her drawing-room show that effort
- which an unusually good dinner produced in his hard-worked
- in a word as often as maternal preoccupations allowed.
- big farm, evidently finding in the society of this rougher
- fires, into which it had been thrown by dyspeptic Puritans;